The holiday season is upon us and with all the running around you’ll be doing trying to prepare your home to celebrate the season with your family, you may forget to keep an eye out for safety hazards.
Never fear! Here are some tips on how to stay safe this holiday season!!
Tip #1 – Make sure you have Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Detectors installed and that they are working. Having CO alarms installed and working on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas is now mandatory in Ontario.
Tip #2 – Make sure your Christmas tree – real or fake – is away from any open flames like candles and never use candles on or near a tree!
Tip #3 – For real trees, once the needles have dried up and start falling remove the tree from your home and dispose of it immediately. A dry tree is quicker to ignite and catch fire.
Tip #4 – Indoor lights and extension cords must only be used indoors because they cannot withstand the elements outdoors. However, it is safe to use outdoor lights and extension cords indoors.
Tip #5 – Before stringing your lights outside or putting the Christmas tree topper on, ensure that your step ladder is intact with no loose screw fasteners or broken steps. You must make sure whatever you’re using to leverage yourself to a higher height can handle your weight and is steady enough to not fall over when you lean on it.
Tip #6 – Never run extension cords or cables underneath carpets or through windows or doors. This could cause them to get pinched and create an electrical hazard.
Tip #7 – Make sure all plugs are completely inserted into outlets. Poor contact can lead to shock or overheating.